This Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. Artistic Director Seymour Lipkin is giving a talk “How to listen to a sonata. The talk is in the Concert Hall (137 Pleasant Street) and all are invited (no admission charged).
The first master class of the season is Thursday. Violist Doris Lederer will hear three ensembles and critique their performance. Master classes are a great way to better understand how a piece is prepared for performance. They are for the edification of the audiences as well as the musicians.
After the concerts on Friday and Sunday the performers will return to the stage to answer questions from the audience. If you have something you always wanted to ask them – about the performance, about music in general, anything at all – now is your chance.
We hope to see you soon and often at Kneisel Hall,
Ellen Werner, Executive Director
Kneisel Hall This Week July 6 – July 12, 2015
Tuesday, July 7 4:30 p.m.: Chamber music at Parker Ridge
Wednesday, July 8 4:30 p.m.: Children’s concert Blue Hill Library
Wednesday, July 8 7:00 p.m.: “How to Listen to a Sonata” Seymour Lipkin talk
Thursday, July 9 7:30 p.m.: Master class, violist Doris Lederer
Friday, July 10 9:00 a.m.: Open Rehearsal Festival Concert, Concert Hall
Friday, July 10 7:30 p.m.: Festival Concert, Concert Hall
Sunday, July 12 4:00 p.m.: Festival Concert, Concert Hall
Friday, July 10 and Sunday, July 12
Beethoven: Sonata for cello and piano No. 4 in C major, Op. 102, No. 1
Dmitry Kouzov, Seymour Lipkin
Smetana: Piano trio in G minor, Op. 15
Laurie Smukler, Joel Krosnick, Seymour Lipkin
Chausson: Piano quartet in A major, Op. 30
David Bowlin, Doris Lederer, Dmitry Kouzov, Florence Millet
Please join us for a discussion with the performers after the concerts.
This week’s artisan is woodworker Chris Gray; our intermission host is Bahai Yacksan.
IT’S! Kneisel Hall is a new program for high school students. Five tickets are available for high school students to come to Kneisel Hall concerts FOR FREE on Friday nights. Students just have to call (374 2203) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make a reservation. The seats are together so they don’t have to sit with strangers and we will have pizza and discussion after the concerts. Pass the word to all the teenagers you know.
- July 8: S Lipkin “How to listen to a sonata”
- July 9: master class Doris Lederer
- July 13: master class Florence Millet
- July 14: Lipkin Mozart concerto play-through
- July 16: master class Katie Lansdale
- August 10: master class, Jonathan Crow
- August 3: master class Jane Coop
- August 5: KH/Bill McGlauglin @ Reach DI
- August 6: master class Jerry Grossman
- April 16, 2016 A Far Cry Benefit for KH NYC
Gregory C. Carroll Young Artist Concerts
(54 pieces of the chamber music literature)
- July 18, Saturday,7:30 p.m.
- July 20, Monday 2:00 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
- July 21, Tuesday 2:00 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
- August 12, Wednesday: 7:30 p.m.
- August 13, Thursday 2:00 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
- August 15, Saturday 2:00 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
In order to make each summer a reality we depend upon donations from those who “love great music beautifully played”. To donate click here.